The Asian Awards Winners List
LONDON, Nov. 3 /PRNewswire-AsiaNet/ –
Sachin Tendulkar, AR Rahman, Vijay Mallya, Yash Chopra, George Alagiah OBE were all announced winners at the inaugural Asian Awards 2010, in partnership with Lebara, on October 26th at The Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane London.
Presented by Lord Sebastian Coe, The Asian Awards 2010 saw a powerhouse of leaders in business, sport, politics attend to celebrate achievement and excellence among South Asians, including Deputy PM Nick Clegg, Jermaine Jackson, Nasser Hussain OBE, Gurinder Chadha, Christian Louboutin and Sonu Niigaam.
Caroline Jackson Levy, Managing Director of the Asian Awards said: “We are delighted at the incredible success of the inaugural Asian Awards. Through the Asian Awards we begin to build a legacy for the South Asian community and through the achievements of our winners, to inspire the millions of us who strive to be the best we can.
“We are honoured to have been joined by so many world figures – with the support of the Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, Nasser Hussain OBE, Christian Louboutin, Sonu Niigaam and other major personalities, the Asian Awards were a spectacular success.”
THE ASIAN AWARDS – FULL LIST OF WINNERS
1) Outstanding Achievement in Art and Design Abu Jani & Mr. Sandeep Khosla *Presented by Christian Louboutin
2) Outstanding Achievement in Television George Alagiah OBE *Presented by Neeraj Arora, Executive VP, Sony Entertainment Network & Nina Wadia
3) Outstanding Achievement in Cinema Yash Chopra *Presented by Gurinder Chadha
4) Outstanding Achievement in Music AR Rahman *Presented by Sonu Niigaam
5) Lloyds Banking Group Business Leader of the Year Ratan Tata *Presented by Diana Brightmore- Armour, CEO Corporate Banking, Lloyds Banking Group
6) Outstanding Achievement in Sport Sachin Tendulkar *Presented by Paul Johnson, Deputy Editor Guardian News and Media & Nasser Hussain OBE
7) Public Servant of the Year Zarin Patel *Presented by Baroness Verma of Leicester
8) Lifetime Achievement Amitabh Bachchan
9) Lloyds Banking Group Philanthropist of the Year Sunil Mittal *Presented by Truett Tate, Group Executive Director, Wholesale, Lloyds Banking Group
10) Social Entrepreneur of the Year Professor Muhammad Yunus *Presented by Ninan Chacko, CEO, PR Newswire
11) Entrepreneur of the Year Vijay Mallya *Presented by Kamal Ahmed, Business Editor of the Sunday Telegraph & Gary Jones, CEO of Infiniti
12) Lebara People’s Choice Award Sachin Tendulkar *Presented by Ratheesan Yoganathan, CEO Lebara
Sonu Niigaam, one of India’s most celebrated and respected singers and songwriters gave an exclusive 3-song performance.
The Asian Awards were in support of the charity Save the Children. Co-founder of the Asian Awards, Paul Sagoo said “The whole South Asian community came together not only to celebrate the achievements of so many great figures, but also to recognize and support the vital work of Save the Children in India and Pakistan. Gurinder Chadha presented a deeply moving report on the work of the charity and we are delighted to have been able play our part in supporting their efforts.”
With such prestigious figures lending their full support, The Asian Awards 2010 was one of the most important awards ceremonies to launch this year.
NOTES TO EDITORS
2. The Asian Awards 2010 is a collaboration between United Business Media and businessman Paul Sagoo. The awards also support Save the Children as its official charity.
3. The Asian Awards recognise and reward exemplary achievements across 12 categories and is open individuals born in (or with direct family origins in) India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh.
4. The process will identify individuals who parallel the achievements of great and iconic figures of the past; world-changers whose creativity touches enrich and inspire us in our daily lives.
5. A short list of nominees were selected by an independent judging panel consisting of highly respected figures chaired by Baroness Verma of Leicester. The winners were ratified by a second group of expert judges, again chaired by Lady Verma.
6. The Lebara Group is the headline sponsor of the Asian Awards and is also the sponsor of the Lebara People’s Choice Award, which has members of the UK general public voting for its winner.
7. Lebara is the leader in providing high quality, low-cost international mobile services, enabling friends and family to stay in touch wherever they are in the world
8. To show its support of such a high calibre, prestigious event, Lloyds Banking Group has chosen to become a key backer and officially sponsor the Business Leader of the Year and the Philanthropist of the Year awards.
For more information, interview requests and hi-res images, please contact:
SOURCE: Asian Awards