Mourners in Srinagar detained, subjected to brute force

Srinagar, October 12, 2016 (PPI-OT):In occupied Kashmir, Muharram processions could not be taken out today due to stringent curfew and a 27- year old official ban on them. Strict restrictions remained in place on the movement of people in Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Safakadal, Maharaj Gunj, Soura, Lal Bazar, Zadibal and Nigeen areas of Srinagar. The traditional Muharram procession used to pass through these areas, which has been banned since 1989.

Police detained several mourners after subjecting them to brute force and teargas firing near BSNL Exchange headquarters in Srinagar when they tried to take out processions. The troops arrested dozens of people including, Agha Syed Muntazir Al-Moosvi, Ghulam Hassan Malik, Agha Syed Baqir and Nisar Hussain Rather after they defied curfew and appeared at Lal Chowk and TRC in Srinagar. Senior Hurriyet leaders, Agha Syed Hassan Al-Moosvi Al-Safvi and Maulana Abbas Ansari have already been put under house arrest for the last three months.

The mourners who arrived in Srinagar despite restrictions from central Kashmir’s district Budgam and elsewhere were shouting pro-freedom slogans when they were detained. They were planning to reach Imam Bargah Zadibal from where the biggest Muharram procession was to be taken out.

The All Parties Hurriyat Conference Chairman, Syed Ali Gilani, Shabbir Ahmad Shah, Syed Agha Hassan Al-Moosavi, Maulana Masroor Abbas, the forum led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Qazi Ahmed Yasir, Bilal Siddiqee, Mohammad Yousuf Naqash, Syed Bashir Andrabi, Mukhtar Ahmad Waza, Shabbir Ahmed Dar, Zaffar Akbar Butt, Nahida Nasreen, Muhammad Iqbal Mir, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo Imtiyaz Ahmad Reshi, Ghulam Nabi War, Javeed Ahmad Mir, and other Hurriyet leaders in their media statements condemned the restrictions and the use of brute force on Muharram processions besides continued crackdown on pro-freedom leaders, activists and young boys.

On the other hand, normal life remained affected in the Valley for the 96th consecutive day, today. Dozens of people including women were injured after Indian police subjected them to torture and fired pellets on protesters in Bandipora, Pampore, Tral and other areas of the territory. The forces damaged residential houses, parked vehicles, power transformers and smashed windowpanes of houses without any provocation in the areas.

The authorities claimed that Indian troops killed two attackers who were holed up in a government building of Entrepreneurship Development Institute at Sempora in Pampore on Srinagar-Jammu Highway. A local police officer said that the troops used ammunition including several kilograms of IEDs and fired over 100 rockets at the building.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736