Demos in Srinagar against minor’s killing despite curfew

Srinagar, October 08, 2016 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, dozens of people were injured after Indian troops and police personnel used brute force in Srinagar, today, on the demonstrations against the killing of a minor boy and other civilians.

The 12-year-old boy, Junaid Ahmed, was injured in the firing of Indian police on protesters in Saidpora area of Srinagar, yesterday, and succumbed to his injuries at a hospital in Srinagar, today. His killing raised the death toll in the ongoing uprising to 110.

As the news about the death of Junaid Ahmed reached his native area Saidpora, thousands of people gathered in his home, despite curfew. They marched towards the Martyrs’ Graveyard at Eidgah in Srinagar to offer his funeral prayers. They shouted “Hum Kia Chahtey – Azadi” and “Go India go back” slogans. Indian police fired teargas shells on the funeral procession near Aali Masjid and forced the mourners to move back. The police action triggered massive clashes between the protesters and the police personnel that resulted in the injuring of dozens of persons. Later, people took the dead body of Junaid Ahmed to the Martyrs’ Graveyard from another route and laid him to rest amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. The dead body was shrouded with Pakistani flag.

Hurriyet leaders, Shabbir Ahmed Shah, Javaid Ahmed Mir, Muhammad Yousuf Naqash, Bilal Siddiqui, Zamruda Habib, Shabbir Ahmed Dar, Muhammad Iqbal Mir, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, Imtiyaz Ahmed Reshi, Muhammad Ramzan Khan, Wajahat Qureshi, Ghulam Nabi War and Yar Muhammad Khan and the Hurriyet forum led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Jamaat-e-Islami of the occupied territory in their statements strongly condemned the killing of Junaid Ahmed terming it as the worst example of state terrorism.

Meanwhile, normal life remained affected for the 92nd consecutive day, today, in the Kashmir Valley due to shutdown against the ongoing killing spree unleashed by Indian forces. The occupation authorities disallowed people to take out a Muharram procession from Lal Bazar area of Srinagar, today. The students continued their protests in Srinagar and other areas against the authorities’ decision of conducting exams despite volatile situation in the Valley.

Indian police arrested a youth from a hospital in Hajin area of Bandipora district where he was getting treatment for bullet injuries. The puppet regime booked a Hurriyet activist and his son under draconian Public Safety Act in Hajin and shifted them to Kot Bhalwal jail in Jammu.

On the other hand, Srinagar-based media quoting official records revealed that in a bid to quell the ongoing uprising, the puppet authorities had booked 134 persons under draconian law, Public Safety Act, in north Kashmir during the past three months. The reports said that the authorities had also identified around 130 government employees to book them under the PSA for taking part in anti-India protests.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736