Azerbaijani and Syrian delegations meet Chairman Senate; regional situation discussed

Islamabad, December 02, 2014 (PPI-OT): Muhammad Jihad Allaham, Speaker of the Syrian Parliament and Ms. Ganira Pashayeva, member of Azerbaijan Parliament separately called on Chairman Senate Syed Nayyer Hussain Bokhari and discussed with him regional situation and matters of importance to both countries. Both delegations among many others are here to participate in the three day long Asian Parliamentary Assembly (APA). The meetings were held here on Tuesday at a local hotel.

In his meeting with Azerbaijani Member Parliament, Nayyer Bokhari, president APA congratulated Ms. Pashayeva on becoming a member parliament of APA and appreciated her country’s commitment to work with the Assembly for regional stability. It may be noted that Azerbaijan previously exercised status of an observer parliament and did not have right to vote in the Assembly.

Both leaders hoped that the 7th plenary of the APA will be very beneficial for people of Asia but also agreed that this task is not an easy one because the region is widely diverse. Nayyer Bokhari appreciated Ms. Ganira Pashayeva’s efforts for ensuring human rights to her people.

She apprised the president of APA about the tensions between Azerbaijan and Armenia and said that Armenian aggression continues despite raising this issue on many platforms including UN Security Council. Chairman Senate expressed gratefulness to Azerbaijan for supporting Kashmir cause openly. Ms. Pashayeva told Nayyer Bokhari that Azerbaijan seeks his visit and she formally invited him to visit her country.

In his meeting with Speaker of Syrian Peoples Assembly Muhammad Jihad Allaham, Chairman Senate Syed Nayyer Hussain Bokhari said that Pakistan places bilateral relations with Syria in high esteem and looks forward to further foster mutual cooperation. He said that APA is an institutional voice of the people of Asia and it provides an opportunity for dialogue and discourse on issues faced by the region.

He said that dialogue is the only solution to all issues of the region and we can work collectively for peace and stability through the platform of the Asian Parliament. “Pakistan as nuclear power looks forward to working for unity and strength of the Muslim Ummah”, the Chairman remarked.

Leader of the Syrian parliamentary delegation appreciated the steps taken by President of the APA, Nayyer Bokhari to make the APA more vibrant and dynamic. He lauded the proposal to transform APA into Asian Parliament, adding that APA under the leadership of Mr Bokhari has prospered in the light of bold decisions.

The Syrian Speaker extended invitation to the Chairman Senate to visit Syria. He lauded the arrangements of the APA current session and conveyed his good will to the leadership, the parliament and the people of Pakistan.

Speaker of the National Assembly, Sardar Ayaz Sadiq presided over a special session of APA in the evening. While addressing the Assembly he expressed his pleasure over addressing the parliamentarians of Asian states and said that Asia seems to be living in two worlds when on one hand Asia has 40% of world’s billionaires and on the other it also has 60% of world’s poorest population. “APA and hence the Asian Parliament will prove to be the right platform to bridge this gap”, he said.

After his address, APA secretariat presented two reports formulated by them regarding the formation of Asian Parliament and on the progress on the Islamabad declaration which was adopted in the last APA in Islamabad last year.

Earlier in the day, head of delegations addressed the plenary session and presented in front of the Assembly their respective countries’ views regarding APA, regional situation and formation of an Asian Parliament.

Delegates from Syria, Cyprus, Iran, Kuwait, China, Cambodia, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Turkey, Russia, Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Oman, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Philippines, Bahrain, IPU and PUIC addressed the plenary session of APA. Standing Committee on Social and Cultural Affairs and Standing Committee on Economic and Sustainable Development also held their meetings.

For more information, contact:
Asian Parliamentary Assembly (APA)
Parliament House, Constitution Avenue,
Islamabad, Pakistan.
Tel: +92-51-9204877, 9204564
Fax: +92-51-9205205, 9223477
E-mail: president@asianparliament.org.pk
Website: www.asianparliament.org.pk

The post Azerbaijani and Syrian delegations meet Chairman Senate; regional situation discussed appeared first on AsiaNet-Pakistan.

Leave a Reply